LEVELLAND—A week after competing against the nation's best at the 2017 Texas Relays in Austin, the South Plains College men's and women's track and field teams will be back on the track this weekend when they travel to San Angelo for the David Noble Invitational.
The Texans have been nothing short of spectacular over the first two weeks of the season combining for 17 national qualifying marks including four of the top marks in the country. For that, the Texans earned a No. 3 national ranking in the first USTFCCCA NJCAA Division I rankings on Wednesday.
The Lady Texans have been just as impressive under first-year head coach Erik Vance, combining for 16 national qualifying marks to date and hold two of the top marks in the country. The Lady Texans were rewarded with a No. 4 national ranking on Wednesday and will look to continue to rise in the polls with another impressive outing in San Angelo.
Texans on the rise:
- William Watson: Ranks first in the 110 hurdles with a time of 14.10
- Okeen Williams: Ranks first in the 400 hurdles with a time of 50.75
- Laquan Nairn: Ranks first in the long jump with a mark of 25' 8.25"
- Adrian Williams: Ranks first in the javelin with a mark of 215' 6"
- Robert Downs Jr.: Ranks second in the 800 meters with a 1:53.16
- Derrick Monroe: Ranks third in the long jump with a mark of 24' 5"
- Felix Kosgei: Ranks fourth in the 5000 meters with a time of 15:04.09
Lady Texans' dominance:
- Natassha McDonald - Ranks first in the 400 meters with a time of 53.71
- Lady Texans' 4x400 relay: Latriceia Smith, McDonald, Mauricia Prieto and Agnes Abrocquah rank first with a time of 3:41.20
- Lady Texans' 4x100 relay: Omotayo Abolaji, Safia Bright, Taylor Hill and Prieto rank second with a time of 46.07
- Prieto – Ranks third in the 200 meters with a time of 23.91
- Kiona Bradshaw – Ranks third in the shot put with a mark of 46' 1.25"
- Seselia Dala – Ranks fourth in the 1500 meters with a time of 4:48.49
Last time out:
The Texans' 4x400 relay team comprised of Junior Charles, Rayan Holmes, Williams and Montel Hood took third overall with a final time of 3:07.60. The Lady Texans' 4x400 relay team also earned a top 10 finish as Smith, McDonald, Prieto and Abrocquah placed eighth with their time of 3:41.20.
Laquan Nairn soared 25' 8.25" in the long jump to capture third overall. Adrian Williams placed 10th overall in the javelin with a mark of 209' 9". Okeen Williams placed eighth in the men's 400-meter hurdles with a time of 52.25.
Following their trip San Angelo, South Plains will head to Hobbs for the Ross Black Invitational on April 15, followed by a trip to Norman, Oklahoma for the John Jacobs Invitational on April 22. Full results from each week can be found at spctexans.com.